Tuesday, March 6, 2012

We all have a purpose...

It's funny how in life we always hear "God has a plan for your life" and "God has a purpose for your life," and while we truly do believe that, until we see it come to pass or understand what exactly our calling and purpose is...we try and figure it out on our own and take matters into our own hands :) And all the while we get so frustrated when the plans or our "man-made purpose" for our own life doesn't work out.  Some people are on the other end of the spectrum and feel like they have no purpose at all in life (which isn't true...we ALL have a purpose).

Ever since Josh & I said "yes" to the call to plant Vertical Church, I can look back in hindsight over my life and really see times when I tried to create my own purpose or fufill what I thought was my purpose. I can also see certain circumstances, situations, and even trials that were part of the puzzle that God is now putting together in my life (not at all saying I've arrived).  But, I know without a shadow of a doubt that Vertical Church is EXACTLY what I am supposed to be doing right now.  God has truly spoke to us in many different ways about it and there is a peace and joy deep inside about it.  There is no greater joy than knowing you are right in the middle of God's will and purpose for your life. 

I've learned through the many different seasons and chapters of life that have brought us to where we are today that a lot of times it takes God cultivating, preparing, teaching, and correcting us so we can be molded into exactly what He wants us to be.  I look back and see hard times I went through and while I didn't understand why at the time (and I may have even questioned why God would allow such things to happen to me), it was all part of Him shaping me.  We are the clay and He is the potter.  The shaping isn't always easy or painless, but it's so worth it.

God has awesome plans for all of our lives, but we have to be willing to allow the potter to do His work and as we allow him to shape us and mold us, we have to find out what that purpose is.  If you had told me even a year ago we would be at this place in our lives now, I more than likely would have told you that you were crazy, but as we allow God to shape us, He plants in us a deep desire and passion to do the things he has called us to do.
Everyone has been put here on Earth to fufill a purpose and I can tell you from my own life's experiences, when you find that purpose....there is no greater joy or contentment.  No, it won't always be easy, but knowing you're fufilling your God-given purpose brings great excitement and joy :)


Ephesians 2:10 - “We are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
Jeremiah 29:11-13 - "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment